Between 1999 and 2007, all the 24 members of the Edo State House of Assembly were elected on the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), which was then the ruling party .
Nothing could better illustrate the "family affair" claims of the PDP than the romance between the lawmakers and the executive, which led to easy passage for bills.
Also, decisions at the plenary sessions of the House were always products of issues that had already been discussed at meetings of the PDP. As such, there was never opposition to motions moved on the floor of the House, as the lawmakers were always ready with an "Aye" to bills.
All that, however, changed after the 2007 general elections, when the Action Congress clinched eight of the 24 seats in the Assembly. The PDP settled for the remaining 16.
While the AC members had their say, the PDP members who were in the majority, always had their way.
A former member of the House, Hon Fred Omogberai, said at a PDP rally recently that the party used superior arguments and ideas to defeat the minority AC.
Some observers, however, believe that the fears of the AC members then, centred on the uncertainty over the long drawn battle between Comrade Adams Oshiomhole and Prof. Oseriheimen Osunbor, over who, between them, was the validly elected governor. The AC members were particularly concerned about the chances of Oshiomhole at the tribunal. Hence, they chose to tread with caution.
The likes of Hon Uyi Igbe, Patrick Osayimwen, Jude Ise-Idehen, rarely contributed to issues being discussed at plenary then. Whatever the "Ayes" said was what they followed.
Hon Peter Aliu, Phillip Shuaibu, the Minority Leader, Hon Paul Ohonbamu, Bright Osayande and Etinosa Ogbeiwi sometimes made meaningful contributions during plenary but that was not sufficient to position the AC as an effective opposition political party in the House, as the numerical strength of the then ruling PDP remained a major advantage for the party.
This was the situation until the emergence of Oshiomhole as Governor of Edo State through the Court of Appeal judgment of November 12, 2008.
There are indications now that legislative business in the Edo Assembly may take a new dimension, following the emergence of new faces who were recently inaugurated as members of the House. This is sequel to the validation of the elections of some petitioners at the Appeal tribunal.
The new members who have had their elections validated and got inaugurated as members of the House are: Mr. Kabiru Adjoto, representing Akoko-do Constituency 1; Uwamose Amadasun, representing Uhunwode Constituency; and Folly Ogedegbe, representing Owan East Constituency.The three new members belong to the AC. They came in as replacement for PDP members- Anslem Agbabi, Fred Omogberai and Mrs. Elisabeth Ativie, whose elections were nullified by the election appeal tribunal.
Their coming to the House is thus seen as a a huge loss to the PDP, which is gradually losing the majority it used to enjoy in the Edo Assembly.
Adjoto, while receiving his Certificate of Return from the Independent National Electoral Commission, said his coming into the House had ended the era of ‘I concur’. This, he said in apparent reference to the inability of the AC to make much impact in the PDP-dominated House.
Observers believe that the few contributions made by Uwamose during plenary, was an indication of the kind of opposition the PDP members are set to experience in the House.
Ogedegbe told The Nation in an interview that the few weeks he had spent in the House had been challenging, adding that he found law making a wonderful task. He was optimistic that the advent of more AC members in the House will change the pattern of law making.
"There are enormous problems in my constituency that need attention. The two years of legal battle was a major setback for my people. I intend to bring attention of the problems in my constituency to the governor with a view to getting them accommodated in the 2010 budget", He said, adding that the quality of the discussion in the Assembly will also impact on governance in the state.
Commenting on his experience in the House, Amadasun said law making is quite challenging "because you have to capture the mood of the people, their desires, their hopes and expectations."
"We have passed two bills since I came in, including the anti-kidnapping bill. These have been challenging, because you have to do a lot of research and reading", he added.
With six more cases yet to be decided at the Court of Appeal, the PDP, at present has 13 members, while the AC has 11 in the House.
The PDP members whose cases are pending are Chris Umogbai, representing Etsako Central; Patrick Aisoweiren, representing Orhionmwon; Kingsley Ehigiamusoe, representing Igueben; and Segun Saiki, representing Akoko-Edo Constituency II.
Those of the AC are: Phillip Shuaibu, representing Estako West; and Bright Osayande, representing Ovia North East Constituency 1.
The non-confirmation of Oshiomhole’s nominees for the State Universal Basic Education Board (SUBEB) by the PDP- dominated House has further widened the political gap between the AC members and their PDP counterparts.
However, there appears to be some measure of uncertainty around the Speaker of the House, Zakawanu Garuba, whose leadership had led to a crisis- free House when compared to the number of times previous Speakers were removed between 1999 and 2007.
Should the AC emerge the majority party in the House, the party may demand for a speaker elected on its platform, as a matter of right.
With AC as the ruling party in the state, the PDP needs control of the House to remain relevant and reaffirm the faith of its supporters in the party.
If unconfirmed reports about plans by some PDP members to defect to the AC are anything to go by, then the fate of Garuba would no longer depend on the pending court cases, but on how soon the PDP members make good their planned defection.
Whichever way it goes, the changing trend in the Edo Assembly will be of advantage to the Comrade Oshiomhole led-administration.
Thursday, October 29, 2009
History haunts Brazil U-17 coach
The past, it is often said, serves as a yardstick for measuring progress in all human endeavours. Brazil’s rubost football history, in all competitions, seems to be the biggest tomentor of that country’s U-17 national team coach, Luiz Nizzo, whose wards suffered a surprise loss to Mexico Tuesday night in Lagos. The loss now puts the little Samba Boys in a precarious situation, having garnered only three points from two matches.
Coach Nizzo whose sideline workrate is second to none in the ongoing championship looks visibly shaken as he braces against the unknown.
What signal would it send to the rest of the football world about Brazilian football if the three-time champions got eliminated in the first round of the U-17 championship?
Coach Nizzo whose sideline workrate is second to none in the ongoing championship looks visibly shaken as he braces against the unknown.
What signal would it send to the rest of the football world about Brazilian football if the three-time champions got eliminated in the first round of the U-17 championship?
Bode George, others denied home food
Jailed Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) chieftain Bode George was disallowed from having the food brought for him from home.
He has appealed the verdict, imprisoning him for 30 months for contracts fraud.
Members of his family who brought the food were turned back by warders at the Kirikiri Prison.
George, sources said, has not been eating since he got to the prison on Monday.
A source said his action may have been informed by the poor quality of food served.
It was gathered that George and his fellow convicts may have demanded that food be brought to them from their homes. But there was no approval for their action, a source said.
Spokesman of the Nigerian Prison Service (NPS), Lagos command, Mr Ope Fatinikun, told The Nation that inmates were expected to apply to bring in food.
The prison, he said, is a sensitive security area, adding that proper procedure must be followed before food could be brought in.
The Nation
learnt that George may soon be moved from the Kirikiri prison for security reasons.
It was gathered that the prison authority is not comfortable with the number of people coming to see him since his arrival.
A source told The Nation that George is likely to be moved if his supporters pose a security threat at Kirikiri.
But Fatinikun said it was too early for anybody to begin to contemplate such a move.
He said any group that poses a security threat to the prison would be dealt with.
The inmates are yet to get their prison numbers, but the process has begun, it was learnt.
A source said they have not been given their numbers because the system is computerised.
According to the source, the numbers are in five digits but only four digits will be issued an inmate. The last digit will only be known to the prison – for security reasons.
The inmates have, however, been allocated their cells and uniforms.
George and others filed their notices of appeal at the registry of the Ikeja High Court.
In the appeal is a motion urging the court to grant them bail, pending the determination of the appeal.
Their lawyers refused to release copies of the papers, alleging that reporters had deliberately sensationalised the reports of their clients’ conviction.
The lawyers, who also refused to reveal their names, came into the court premise around 2pm, and finished filing the papers at about 4.00pm.
They accused the media of acting in bad faith by reporting that their clients were sentenced to 28 years imprisonment. This newspaper reported two and half years(The Nation).
Entreaties from reporters, who besieged the registry on learning that the lawyers were around, were ignored.
He has appealed the verdict, imprisoning him for 30 months for contracts fraud.
Members of his family who brought the food were turned back by warders at the Kirikiri Prison.
George, sources said, has not been eating since he got to the prison on Monday.
A source said his action may have been informed by the poor quality of food served.
It was gathered that George and his fellow convicts may have demanded that food be brought to them from their homes. But there was no approval for their action, a source said.
Spokesman of the Nigerian Prison Service (NPS), Lagos command, Mr Ope Fatinikun, told The Nation that inmates were expected to apply to bring in food.
The prison, he said, is a sensitive security area, adding that proper procedure must be followed before food could be brought in.
The Nation
learnt that George may soon be moved from the Kirikiri prison for security reasons.
It was gathered that the prison authority is not comfortable with the number of people coming to see him since his arrival.
A source told The Nation that George is likely to be moved if his supporters pose a security threat at Kirikiri.
But Fatinikun said it was too early for anybody to begin to contemplate such a move.
He said any group that poses a security threat to the prison would be dealt with.
The inmates are yet to get their prison numbers, but the process has begun, it was learnt.
A source said they have not been given their numbers because the system is computerised.
According to the source, the numbers are in five digits but only four digits will be issued an inmate. The last digit will only be known to the prison – for security reasons.
The inmates have, however, been allocated their cells and uniforms.
George and others filed their notices of appeal at the registry of the Ikeja High Court.
In the appeal is a motion urging the court to grant them bail, pending the determination of the appeal.
Their lawyers refused to release copies of the papers, alleging that reporters had deliberately sensationalised the reports of their clients’ conviction.
The lawyers, who also refused to reveal their names, came into the court premise around 2pm, and finished filing the papers at about 4.00pm.
They accused the media of acting in bad faith by reporting that their clients were sentenced to 28 years imprisonment. This newspaper reported two and half years(The Nation).
Entreaties from reporters, who besieged the registry on learning that the lawyers were around, were ignored.
Subscribe to:
Posts (Atom)